Using escalations and / or timeperiods for out of hours

Sotiroff, Kristian Sotiroff.Kristian at mtvne.com
Fri Oct 17 10:25:28 CEST 2008

Hi

(Version: Nagios 3.0.3 )

I'm trying to configure my alerts to work in such a way that engineers
don't get mailed excessively out of hours. I've tried with escalations,
but only with Nagios 2 and didn't have much success.

Reading though the docs for v3 it seems that I can define an escalation
with reduced email frequency to be active only during a specified
period, so I thought this may be a way to do it.

Let me explain my scenario

Sun: 		0000 - 0000 - reduced email
Mon - Fri	0000 - 0800 - reduced email
		0800 - 1900 - normal email
		1900 - 0000 - reduced email
Sat:		0000 - 0000 - reduced email

If I configure the alerting to work so that after a single email is sent
it escalates into my 'reduced email' period (if its in the right
timeperiod) but otherwise will it then ignore the escalation and
continue sending emails as normal?

What happens if a server lets out some blue smoke over a weekend, so the
escalation comes into play, but an engineer doesn't fix it until 12:00
Monday morning. Does this mean at 0800 (when the escalation is not valid
any more) it will email normally? And if it continues into the next
night will the escalation come back into play again or, because it has
already been triggered, will it stay as normal.

I'm sure someone has done this before. Does anybody have any first hand
experience with it? How are other list users alerting out of hours?

Cheers
Kristian

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This e-mail (and any attached files) is confidential and protected by
copyright (and other intellectual property rights). If you are not the
intended recipient please e-mail the sender and then delete the email and
any attached files immediately. Any further use or dissemination is
prohibited.

While MTV Networks Europe has taken steps to ensure that this email and
any attachments are virus free, it is your responsibility to ensure that
this message and any attachments are virus free and do not affect your
systems / data.

Communicating by email is not 100% secure and carries risks such as delay,
data corruption, non-delivery, wrongful interception and unauthorised
amendment. If you communicate with us by e-mail, you acknowledge and
assume these risks, and you agree to take appropriate measures to minimise
these risks when e-mailing us.

MTV Networks International, MTV Networks UK & Ireland, Greenhouse,
Nickelodeon Viacom Consumer Products, VBSi, Viacom Brand Solutions
International and Comedy Central are all trading names of MTV Networks
Europe.  MTV Networks Europe is a partnership between MTV Networks Europe
Inc. and Viacom Networks Europe Inc.  Address for service in Great Britain
is UK House, 180 Oxford Street, London W1D 1DS, UK.