No parallel checks with scripts under?

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Wed Oct 15 18:45:46 CEST 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se> wrote:
> If average check latency is 0.04 seconds, you may have configured your
> checks to run with a greater interval than the default 5 minutes. I've
> seen this happen before.

After having it run overnight, average latency is .1xx seconds.  For
my base service template (all checks inherit from this and they do not
override these attributes) I have

obsess_over_service 0
normal_check_interval 5
retry_check_interval 5
max_check_attempts 3

> Are you using slow-running OCSP/OCHP commands? Are you using them at all?

That is turned off, will be running in distributed mode down the road
but not now :).

> Are you using NEB-modules?

Yes, I am using modpnpsender and a service performance data handler,
but even with those commented out in the config I see the same
results.  This is a RHEL52 box running nagios 3.0.3, because of where
it sits on the network I have had to manually add RPMs to the box to
configure it .. I initially had glib2-devel and my perception was that
performance was slow with that library being used so i took the devel
package off of the host as most Linux hosts I have been on I have not
had Nagios complied with glib2.

As I look now at performance data again on Nagios with
process_perfdata set to 0 and the PNP NEB module commented out
(restarted Nagios about 10 minutes before starting this email) I am
still only seeing 86% within 5 minutes, avg latency .22, for service
checks and via top I am only see max 2 Nagios instances.  With "top
-i" I just see Nagios appear on and off occasionally.

Maybe to test to see if there is something wrong with my compile I
should turn down the check interval to 1 minute for checks to see if
Nagios does what I would expect, constantly running checks to try and
keep up?  if it doesn't behave that way, would that be a relatively
clear indication I have a compile issue?

My configure options just in case something pops out that looks
glaringly wrong, i don't expect anyone to go through them line by line
:p:

  $ ./configure --prefix=/data/nagios --exec-prefix=/data/nagios
--bindir=/data/nagios/bin --sbindir=/data/nagios/sbin
--datadir=/data/nagios/share --libexecdir=/data/nagios/libexec
--enable-event-broker --enable-embedded-perl --with-nagios-user=nagios
--with-nagios-group=nagios --with-command-user=nagios
--with-command-group=apache --with-mail=/bin/mail
--with-httpd-conf=/etc/httpd/conf.d
--with-checkresult-dir=/data/nagios/var/checkresults
--with-temp-dir=/data/nagios/tmp --with-init-dir=/etc/init.d
--with-lockfile=/data/nagios/var/nagios.lck --with-gd-lib=/usr/lib64
--with-gd-inc=/usr/include --with-cgiurl=/nagios/cgi-bin
--with-htmurl=/nagios --with-perlcache

uname -m = x86_64
uname -r = 2.6.18-53.el5
uname -s = Linux
uname -v = #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 16:34:19 EDT 2007

Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix
--enable-checking=release --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit
--disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-libgcj-multifile
--enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++,java,fortran,ada
--enable-java-awt=gtk --disable-dssi --enable-plugin
--with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-gcj-1.4.2.0/jre
--with-cpu=generic --host=x86_64-redhat-linux

C=gcc
CFLAGS=-g -O2 -I/usr/include  -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE
-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -Wdeclaration-after-statement
-I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
-I/usr/include/gdbm
-I/usr/lib64/perl5/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/CORE
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H
LDFLAGS= -L/usr/lib64

Thanks again for your help, I seem to be in a rare situation here as
searches for Redhat and Nagios and performance issues turn up very few
hits :p, which lets me know I am definitely at fault here.

- Max