cgi restart and manual config change

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Oct 10 16:54:14 CEST 2008

On Oct 10, 2008, at 7:58 AM, hiren wrote:

> from this my question is, what exactly does HUP do for nagios, would
> it
> ignore changes make to hosts via the cgi's even if the config files
> have
> different settings?

A HUP tells nagios to re-read it's config files and apply any changes.
I suspect that you have retention enabled though and that does change
how some host/service parameters behave on reload/restart (yours is
one of them).

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html

"Retention Notes

It is important to point out that several directives in host and
service definitions may not be picked up by Nagios when you change
them. Host and service directives that can exhibit this behavior are
marked with an asterisk (*). The reason for this behavior is due to
the fact that Nagios chooses to honor values stored in the state
retention file over values found in the config files, assuming you
have state retention enabled on a program-wide basis and the value of
the directive is changed during runtime (by submitting an external
command).

One way to get around this problem is to disable the retention of non-
status information using the retain_nonstatus_information directive in
the host and service definitions. Disabling this directive will cause
Nagios to take the initial values for these directives from your
config files, rather than from the state retention file when it
(re)starts. Using this option is not recommended, as it may result in
some unexpected (from your point of view) results.

Alternatively, you can issue the appropriate external command or
change the value of the host or service directive via the web
interface, so that it matches what you've changed it to in the config
files. This is usually done by using the extended information CGI.
This option takes a bit more work, but is preferable to disabling the
retention of non-status information (mentioned above). "

--
Marc