3-D Status Map not working

Rick Knight rick_knight at rlknight.com
Sat Oct 4 01:16:10 CEST 2008

Mark Young wrote:

> On Oct 3, 2008, at 11:28 AM, Rick Knight wrote:
>
>> Mark Young wrote:

>>> Hi Izz,
>>> These can now be included in the actual host/service definitions (or
>>> better yet, their templates).  'hostextinfo' and 'serviceextinfo' are
>>> no longer necessary but are still supported as of now.  It is now just
>>> a style decision.

>>> Hi Rick,
>>> Did you compile this from source?  What version of nagios are you
>>> running?  It is obvious from the logs that the CGI is looking for
>>> something that does not exist.  My idea of the problem might be that
>>> you are, pointing 'vrml_image' or another such script url in the
>>> configs to the nonexistant location.  Which could be from an error in
>>> how Nagios was originally configured.

>>> The vrml should not be able to run from your desktop as it needs to
>>> communicate with the CGI to read the relative host relationships from
>>> the Nagios server.
>>>
>>> Good luck.
>>>
>>> Mark Young
>>> ___
>>> Nagios Enterprises, LLC
>>> Web:    www.nagios.com <http://www.nagios.com>
>>>
>> Mark,
>>
>> I'm running 3.0b3, compiled from source about a year ago, just now
>> getting around to trying to use it. I'm sure the only compile time
>> option I used would have been --prefix=/usr. Where can I look for this
>> error? Or should I use a newer version and re-compile or use the Nagios2
>> in the Kubuntu 8.04 repositories?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rick
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Well I'll try to send this out.  I sent a message at 9:30 CDT and it
> is yet to appear. :)
>
> If you have the option, I would suggest to first backup your current
> /usr/local/nagios/* files, then recompile/reinstall with the latest
> Nagios 3.0.3 source and follow the quickstart guides (without using
> the 'make install-config' which overwrites your config files).  This
> would bring you down to it being a problem with your Nagios
> configuration or your system configuration.  Though this is a drastic
> step but a good chance to upgrade.
>
> Is the rest of your interface looking alright?  Have you made any
> changes to the cgi.cfg file (maybe involving web root directory)?  Did
> you try to take away all the url references from you config files?
> (the  'vrml_image', 'icon_image', 'statusmap_image' )  I would need
> more log data to help narrow it down.
>

> Mark Young
> ___
> Nagios Enterprises, LLC
> Web:    www.nagios.com <http://www.nagios.com>

Mark,

As you suggested I backed up my config files and then removed nagios
from my PC. Then I did a fresh install with nagios-3.0.3 and
nagios-plugins-1.4.13 following the quick start guide for Ubuntu. I
copied my configuration file backups to the appropriate locations,
verified the configuration with sudo /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg and then started nagios.  Everything
looks OK. I can see the hosts I've configured, I can look at reports,
everything seems to work except the 3-d maps. When I click on 3-D Status
Map I get a black window and nothing else. When I look at my apache log
I see this error...

[Fri Oct 03 16:13:59 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] script not found
or unable to stat: /usr/local/nagios/sbin/nagios

What is the next step in trouble shooting this problem?

Thanks,
Rick