3-D Status Map not working

Mark Young myoung at nagios.org
Fri Oct 3 05:34:17 CEST 2008

On Oct 2, 2008, at 7:11 PM, Izz Abdullah wrote:

> Hi Rick,
> I've also done this just to make Nagios "pretty" to the users and
> customize for our customers.  If you see the documentation, you must
> create the logos directory with 40x40 pixel png (other formats
> acceptable) for the VRML logos to work, also, this will create
> little logos in your regular status map as well as a pic next to the
> host in the summary page.  If I am not mistaken, you will need to
> put together a:
> define hostextinfo{...} declaration, but it's all in the
> documentation.  Here is an example completely specific to my
> internal setup for APAC usage justification:
> in the say...windows.cfg file:
> define hostextinfo{
> host_name            #APAC-TEST #this should be the host you want
>                      #the special pic for which is located in your
> logos directory in which you created
> notes                Test 2003 Domain Controller
> icon_image           Simpsons_couch_gag.jpg
> statusmap_image      Simpsons_couch_gag.jpg
> vrml_image           Simpsons_couch_gag.jpg
> }

Hi Izz,
These can now be included in the actual host/service definitions (or
better yet, their templates).  'hostextinfo' and 'serviceextinfo' are
no longer necessary but are still supported as of now.  It is now just
a style decision.

>> Rick Knight wrote:
>>> I've installed openvrml with it's Mozilla plugin. I've tested the
>>> plugin
>>> and it works fine with the models supplied with openvrml, but not
>>> with
>>> Nagios. When I click on 3-D Status Map I get a black screen. I found
>>> this error in my apache2 log...
>>>
>>> [Thu Oct 02 11:08:50 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] script not
>>> found
>>> or unable to stat: /usr/local/nagios/sbin/nagios
>>>
>>> I get this each time I try to view the 3-D maps. Is this a
>>> configuration
>>> issue? I don't have a /usr/local/nagios/sbin/nagios, I do have
>>> /usr/local/bin/nagios.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Rick

Hi Rick,
Did you compile this from source?  What version of nagios are you
running?  It is obvious from the logs that the CGI is looking for
something that does not exist.  My idea of the problem might be that
you are, pointing 'vrml_image' or another such script url in the
configs to the nonexistant location.  Which could be from an error in
how Nagios was originally configured.

>> Also, when I save a map to my Desktop on my PC and then try to open
>> with
>> sdl-viewer, I get this error (the first line is the command to open
>> the
>> file)...
>>
>> rknight at calinxpit01:~/Desktop/NewDownloads/openvrml-0.17.8/examples$
>> ./sdl-viewer ~/Desktop/statuswrl.wrl
>>
>> file:///home/rknight/Desktop/nagios/images/logos/nagiosvrml.png:
>> unrecognized error during resolution
>> no alternative URI could be resolved
>>
>> The path to my Nagios images directory is
>> /usr/local/nagios/share/images. Where is the path above comming from?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rick

The vrml should not be able to run from your desktop as it needs to
communicate with the CGI to read the relative host relationships from
the Nagios server.

Good luck.

Mark Young
___