Help with Monitoring Windows Machines

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Oct 1 21:36:44 CEST 2008

Rick Knight wrote:
> I've installed Nagios and have it working to monitor my linux localhost
> without problems, so I tried to add a Windows server to monitor. I
> followed the instructions in Nagios Documentation, Monitoring Windows
> Machines. After installing and starting NSClient++ on the Windows
> machine and making the changes to /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg and
> /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/windows.cfg I tried verifying the
> configuration with /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v
> /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg. I get this error...
>
> Nagios 3.0b3
> Copyright (c) 1999-2007 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
> Last Modified: 08-30-2007
> License: GPL
>
> Reading configuration data...
>
> Error: Could not find any hostgroup matching 'allhosts' (config file
> '/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/windows.cfg', starting on line 25)
> Error: Hostgroup has no members (config file
> '/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/windows.cfg', starting on line 47)

My guess is that you've misspelled the name of the hostgroup 'allhosts'
when defining it on line 47 in /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/windows.cfg,
or that the hostgroup "allhosts" indeed has no members, so that Nagios
fails to add it properly and therefore cannot find it when you're using
it to define one or more services.

> ***> One or more problems was encountered while processing the config
> files...
>
>      Check your configuration file(s) to ensure that they contain valid
>      directives and data defintions.  If you are upgrading from a previous
>      version of Nagios, you should be aware that some variables/definitions
>      may have been removed or modified in this version.  Make sure to read
>      the HTML documentation regarding the config files, as well as the
>      'Whats New' section to find out what has changed.
>
> I get this on 2 linux PCs configured similarly. I've re-read the
> instructions and I've got everything correct.
>
> Why am I getting this error?

Because you haven't gotten everything correct. Sorry, but the two are mutually
exclusive, so either you have got it all right and won't see the error, or you
somehow fscked up and you see the error.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se