Status dependant on another host

Bradley McLain bradley_mclain at debortoliwines.com
Sun Nov 30 23:30:11 CET 2008

I currently have two hosts where one acts as a backup for the other and so
long as the first is up the second will always be down.

What I am looking to do is control the status of the second based on the
first and am wondering if this kind of configuration is possible?

I tried using a host dependency and host definitions as follows but no luck
so far

define hostdependency{
        dependent_host_name             sydisdn
        host_name                       sydgw
        execution_failure_criteria      o
        }

define host{
        use                     router
        host_name               sydgw
        alias                   sydgw
        address                 *.*.*.*
        hostgroups              router,sydney
}

define host{
        use                     router
        host_name               sydisdn
        alias                   sydISDN
        active_checks_enabled   1
        passive_checks_enabled  0
        address                *.*.*.*
        hostgroups              isdn,sydney

I would like to be able to display the status of sydisdn as downtime when
sydgw is up and running normally. When the status of sydgw is anything else
sydisdn should be monitored to check its status.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Brad

--
Bradley Mclain