Nagiosgraph graphs have gaps

Steve Burton steve at sliderule.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 30 17:51:28 CET 2008

> Steve Burton wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I  have  nagios  3.0.4 running on FreeBSD and I'm using nagiosgraph to
>> generate  rrd's  on  the  data.  I'm  visualizing  the  data with both
>> nagiosgraph and drraw.
>>
>> My  problem  is that the graphs have gaps so I guessing that the rrd's
>> are  not  being  updated.  I'm  concentrating  on just one service for
>> debugging   and   I've  run  the  plugin  (which  I  wrote)  from  the
>> command-line  many times for a local server and I haven't seen it fail
>> to  connect  or  report  or to time out. It is as though nagios is not
>> checking  the service within the heartbeat of the rrd's in question. I
>> have  set  the service check interval to 5 minutes, which I believe to
>> be  the  default nagiosgraph step time and the heartbeat is set to the
>> nagiosgraph default of 600 seconds.
>>
>> Can anyone advise me if if this is likely to be the problem and if not
>> how I can diagnose what is actually going on?

> I have put a diagnose on the mailinglist for something that is either
> the same problem or something similar.

> The problem is that nagios can send several commands into the pipe at
> once and the other end will only pick up one of them. So the RRD info is
> not written. The work around is not to allow Nagios to run things in
> parallel. But it will severly limit the amount of hosts and services one
> can check with Nagios.

> This should have been fixed by using the file interface instead of the
> named pipe. The file interface was introduced about a year ago or even
> longer back.

> Please check the mailinglist archives for more details.

> Hugo.

Hugo,
I have the following in my nagios.cfg

# grep service_perfdata ../nagios.cfg|grep -v #
service_perfdata_file=/var/spool/nagios/perfdata.log
service_perfdata_file_template=$LASTSERVICECHECK$||$HOSTNAME$||$SERVICEDESC$||$SERVICEOUTPUT$||$SERVICEPERFDATA$
service_perfdata_file_mode=a
service_perfdata_file_processing_interval=30
service_perfdata_file_processing_command=process-service-perfdata

Also, the perfdata.log file size changes with time, all of which seems
to suggest to me that I'm using the file interface. Is this correct?

Steve.