Distributed monitoring without direct networkconnection

Nick Lunt nick.lunt at patech-solutions.com
Fri Nov 28 17:00:26 CET 2008

Hi Ton

thanks for the info.

It's not that the connections will be up/down it's more that they simply
won't be there. Most of our clients are NHS (hospitals) and we  have to
have a secure vpn connection that we dial into on an as needed basis.

We currently just send alerts as emails to our support account, but the
company is getting bigger and bigger so monitoring the support inbox is
becoming a massive chore. We really want a central nagios server with
the web frontend on a big flat screen on the wall :)

Im setting up a filter in postfix on the central nagios server so that
all emails coming in will go thru the filter, the filter will run a
script to call send_nsca.

So I'll have nagios clients -> nagios  -> send_email -> primary nagios
server -> postfix -> mail filter -> send_nsca -> nagios

If I get this working I'll treat myself to curry :)