Perl version

Steve Burton steve at sliderule.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 13:36:38 CET 2008

Gary Hartl wrote:
>> Netra1#/usr/local/bin/nagios
>> /usr/local/bin/nagios: Exec format error. Binary file not executable.
>>

> Interesting... I'm not at all familiar with the FreeBSD package system
> but the error above indicates to me that you've installed a version of
> nagios that's not compatible with your system (i.e. 64bit nagios on
> 32bit system or linux version of nagios with no linux binary support
> on your system). Is that possible? What is the output of the following

I'm on my umpteenth nagios implementation on FreeBSD and I've never had
a problem installing. However, I note that the OS version is old (Legacy
Release is 6.3 and Release is 7.0) and I suspect that the package may be
newer than the OS and not supported on this version or architecture.
I normally use the ports system which will build the application for the
installed system. To do so you must first ensure that you have the ports
tree installed, see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html.
Then
cd /usr/ports/net-mgmt/nagios # for version 3
or
cd /usr/ports/net-mgmt/nagios2 # for version 2
or
cd /usr/ports/net-mgmt/nagios12 # for version 1.2

then type:
make install clean
This will either build the correct binaries for your machine or fail if
the port is not supported on your architecture.

Please note: I have only ever used FreeBSD/nagios on 32 bit intel Intel
so YMMV.

Steve.