how to get rid of question marks in the status map? Nagios 3.0.5

Patrick Morris patrick.morris at hp.com
Tue Nov 25 22:09:29 CET 2008

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:

> Hi.  So what's the trick to getting rid of the question marks in the status map?
>
> I've searched the list archives and see people have been having
> trouble with this, but have not found a solution.
>
> I've tried regenerating the GD2 files from the PNG using pngtogd2 but
> I still have question marks in my status map.
>

> cat hostextinfo.cfg
>
> define hostextinfo{
>         host_name       *
>         icon_image      router40.png
>         icon_image_alt  Firewall
>         vrml_image      router40.png
>         statusmap_image router40.gd2
>         }
>

> And in cgi.cfg, I have:
>
> xedtemplate_config_file=/etc/nagios/hostextinfo.cfg
>

> even though the Nagios 3 docs don't mention this directive.

That directive is not necessary, and probably not used at all.

Here's a sample config I use here:

define hostextinfo {
        name                    linux-server
        icon_image              rack_linux.png
        statusmap_image         rack_linux.png
        vrml_image              rack_linux.png
        register                0
}

define hostextinfo {
        hostgroup_name 		sf2-db,sf2-db-host,sf2-linux
        use                     linux-server
}

As long as your config is loaded by Nagios at startup, it should work.
You may want to check your cfg_file and/or cfg_dir directives.