Nagios failed to notify and run event handler

Wheeler, JF (Jonathan) jonathan.wheeler at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Nov 24 12:20:05 CET 2008

Our configuration on the master server (running nagios 2.11) includes
the NDUUtils module which writes Nagios data into a set of MySQL tables.
The MySQL server is in a separate rack from the Nagios master server.
Late yesterday evening (Sunday) there was a network switch problem which
meant (among other things that you do not need to know about) that the
Nagios process lost contact with the MySQL server.  From that point on
there were no notifications nor event-handlers run.  My assumption is
that the loss of contact to the MySQL server caused the single-threaded
part of the Nagios process to stall until contact was restored; as a
result notifications and event-handlers did not run as they are also in
the single-threaded part of the code.  Is my assumption correct?  If
not, can anyone suggest an alternative explanation?  As far as I can
tell the Nagios process continued to run as the log continued to record
events - however log switching (at midnight) did not happen (also in the
single-threaded part of the code).

Jonathan Wheeler
e-Science Centre
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory