Force Check on Passive Service Doesn't Run

Laack,Jacob C Jacob.Laack at alegent.org
Fri Nov 21 21:46:52 CET 2008

I have the below configuration for a service, SNMP-Trap, on a Nagios 3.0.5 system.  When I "Re-schedule the next check of this service" to "reset" it, the check doen't run, regardless of whether or not I check the "Force Check" box.  If I change "active_checks_enabled" to 0 and get rid of "check_period" in the s-passive-alert template, it still won't run.  Could someone point out my mistake?  I'd much appreciate it.

define service{
  service_description     SNMP-Trap
  host_name               chip
  use                     s-opensys-snmp-trap-development
}

define service{
  name                           s-opensys-snmp-trap-development
  use                            s-snmp-trap
  register                       0
  contact_groups                 cg-opensystems-oncall-snmp-development
  }

define service{
  name                             s-snmp-trap
  use                              s-passive-alert
  register                         0

  servicegroups                    sg-snmp-trap
  }

define service{
  name                             s-passive-alert
  use                              s-default
  register                         0

  active_checks_enabled            1
  check_period                     tp-never
  check_command                    passive-alert-reset
  check_interval                   1
  max_check_attempts               1
  check_freshness                  1
  freshness_threshold              86400 ;24 hours

  flap_detection_enabled           0
  is_volatile                      1
  notification_options             w,c,u
  notification_interval            0
  stalking_options                 o,w,c,u
  }

define command{
  command_name  passive-alert-reset
  command_line  $USER1$/check_dummy 0 "Status reset, no problems."
  }

define service{
  name                             s-default
  register                         0

  initial_state                    o

  check_period                     tp-24x7
  check_freshness                  0

  check_interval                   5
  retry_check_interval             1
  max_check_attempts               4

  active_checks_enabled            1
  passive_checks_enabled           1
  event_handler_enabled            1
  flap_detection_enabled           1
  flap_detection_options           o,w,c,u
  process_perf_data                1
  is_volatile                      0
  obsess_over_service              0
  retain_status_information        1
  retain_nonstatus_information     1
  failure_prediction_enabled       1

  notifications_enabled            1
  notification_options             w,c,u,r,f,s
  notification_period              tp-24x7
  notification_interval            20

  icon_image                       unknown.png
  icon_image_alt                   Unknown Service
  }

Jake Laack
Alegent Health, Open Systems Engineer

Sponsored by Catholic Health Initiatives and Immanuel Health Systems, Alegent Health is faithful to the healing ministry of Jesus Christ, providing high quality care for the body, mind and spirit of every person.

The information contained in this communication, including attachments, is confidential and private and intended only for the use of the addressees. Unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this communication in error, please inform us of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail message from your computer. Additionally, although all attachments have been scanned at the source for viruses, the recipient should check any attachments for the presence of viruses before opening. Alegent Health accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail. Thank you for your cooperation.