Nagios and NRPE on AIX with plugin error on increased number of checks

Frank Fegert fra.nospam.nk at gmx.de
Fri Nov 21 19:57:06 CET 2008

Hello all,

i'm running Nagios (3.0.5) and NRPE (1.4.13) both on AIX (mostly 5.3,
but a view 5.2 clients). This worked pretty well until yesterday. After
adding some new checks suddenly _all_ NRPE-based client checks for all
hosts return "No output returned from plugin". Manually run from the
shell, the checks return valid results. If i remove some checks - re-
gardless which check specifically - and keep the number of NRPE checks
under a certain level (~700-800) everything works just fine again. I
already verified the system has enough resources (disk space, memory,
CPU, user limits, ...) and turned up the Nagios debugging to 4096 but
that gave no further clues. On the client-/NRPE-side it appears as if
the NRPE-request never arrives at the client. Has anyone seen this kind
of behavior or has any idea what might cause this?

Thanks & Regards,

        Frank

P.S.: Is anyone in charge of the mailinglists pending approval postings? I
         couldn't for the life of me get the list to accept my original posting
         composed with mutt ("suspicious headers"). Other SF hosted MLs
         work just fine though.