Antwort: make-install-init fail

Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com
Wed Nov 19 17:14:07 CET 2008

"Gary Hartl" <ghartl at gmail.com> schrieb am 19.11.2008 16:57:05:

> I am currently trying to install Nagios 3.0.5 on a FreeBSD-60-Stable
sparc64
> on a netra x1
>
> Everything was cool (no errors) until I got to the make-install-init
step,
> at which point I received the following error
>
> make install-init
> /usr/bin/install -c -m 755 -d -o root -g root /etc/rc.d/
> install: root: Invalid argument
> *** Error code 67
>
> I am wondering what it might be that is causing this to happen and what
> can do to solve it.

FreeBSD does not have a root group, like Linux systems.
Edit the Makefile of your nagios source and replace:

INIT_OPTS=-o root -g root

with

INIT_OPTS=-o root -g wheel

I don't know very much about the BSD initscripts either, so if they are
not SysV style,
then you need to edit INIT_DIR too.

Hope it helped.

Regards
        Sascha

@Andreas: Any chance you want to make a patch against the configure.in -
should be trivial ;)

--
Sascha Runschke
IT-Infrastruktur

fon      : +49 (201) / 102-1879
fax      : +49 (201) / 102-1102105
mobil : +49 (173) / 5419665

GFKL Financial Services AG
Vorstand: Dr. Peter Jänsch (Vors.), Jürgen Baltes, Dr. Till Ergenzinger, Dr. Tom Haverkamp
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Georg F. Thoma
Sitz: Limbecker Platz 1, 45127 Essen, Amtsgericht Essen, HRB 13522