check_udp ?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Nov 18 16:07:09 CET 2008

Marc Powell wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2008, at 8:21 AM, Tom Brown wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Does anyone know if there is a plugin that can monitor UDP statistics
>> and then warn when thresholds are met.
>>
>> ie more than x UDP packets seen on a port then warn? Or something
>> similar?
>
> I've never seen one and am not aware of any system counter that tracks
> that. Do you know of one?

There are iptables modules for it in Linux, although it probably requires
a bit of a head-start.

> I believe you'd either have to get that
> information from the daemon running on that port (if it supported it),
> or use some kind of packet capture methodology to passively watch and
> count them.

Opening a raw socket and continuously issuing

  recv(sd, hdr, sizeof(hdr), MSG_PEEK)

on it would be one (very quick) way of getting that data stored.
It's not difficult, just pretty bloody useless most of the time.
It's nearly always better to just rate-limit the traffic from the
start or block it entirely.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se