Email Notifications

kellyjackie at eircom.net kellyjackie at eircom.net
Thu Nov 13 12:12:15 CET 2008

I am dissapointed with the way in which my questions have been recieved here. It seems like only experts are welcome. How is anybody supposed to learn. There was once a day when you all were beginning too.I have heard so much about the linux community but im not experiencing that at all.

So after almost unsubscribing from this mailing list Im going to give it another chance.
Heres my question:

I have set up Nagios 3 monitoring some machines and their services. I am now trying to set up email notifications.
I have installed the following on the linux box:
eSMTP- run
procmail
I can send emails with the following line:
echo "test" | /usr/bin/esmtp - C ~/esmtprc me at outsideemailaddress - f me at internalemailaddress
This sends me an email from our mail server. However when i try:
mailx -s tacos myemail at email.com
this just hangs.

The commands.cfg files contains:
# 'notify-host-by-email' command definition
define command{
        command_name    notify-host-by-email
        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotificatio$... | /usr/bin/mailx -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Host...
        }

# 'notify-service-by-email' command definition
define command{
        command_name    notify-service-by-email
        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotificatio$... | /usr/bin/mailx -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Host
        }

Can i make modifications to these commands to use esmtp and not mailx or any suggestions to getting mailx working with eSMTP.
Also how can you force nagios to send email notifications for testing.

Thanks for any advice