Email Notifications

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Nov 13 09:30:21 CET 2008

Two things I'd like you to think about when next posting to a
public mailing list:
1. Don't remove the mailing-list from the list of recipients.
   Doing so means the mailing list archives will not contain the answer
   to your problem, and those of us who answer it on the list will be
   forced to answer it over and over and over again.
2. Don't top-post. It makes it excessively hard to understand what
   you're replying to, and it makes those list archives pretty much
   useless since people can't read the questions before the answers.

kellyjackie at eircom.net wrote:
> Thanks for the response Andreas, Actually i don't know what i'm
> doing. I'm on work experience and this is my first big task. I have
> nagios set up, monitoring some machines and services. Now im trying
> to set up the email notifications.I cant find any documentation on
> how to configure nagios with eSMTP. As the command line includes
> /usr/bin/esmtp i changed the lines in notify-hosts-by-email from
> usr/bin/printf to usr/bin/esmtp/printf and usr/bin/mail to
> usr/bin/esmtp/mail

I noticed. That's a really wild shot in the dark. I take it you're not
overly familiar with unix systems?

If you're not, and noone else in your organization can help you, I'd
really recommend getting professional help setting up your Nagios system.

Altinity is UK-based and do Nagios-related consultancy work. They can
probably help you get up and running in a very short time.

op5 is Sweden-based (and I work there, so shameless plug here we go),
but can do installations remotely with a little help from an on-site
technician. We'll also do on-site, ofcourse, but travelling costs are
sometimes prohibitive.

http://www.nagios.org/support/servicepartners/ has a (much) more
comprehensive list.

>. For each host and service do i need to include
> lines to enable notifications.

No, you can do that using templates. Reading the nagios documentation
before you get cracking would be well spent time.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se