Nagios for client management?

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Wed Nov 12 21:05:21 CET 2008

On 12-Nov-2008, at 14:09 , dale sykora wrote:

> Hello,
>  Nagios seems to be a good client monitor system.  I was wondering if
> anyone also uses it as a client management system?  By management,  I
> mean running update scripts and other software on various Linux
> clients.  For instance, I'd like to be able to tell clients to
> update a
> perl module with cpan or yum update some_rpm_package or download,
> untar,
> compile, install some in house software.

You could probably wedge something like that into Nagios, but there is
software out there better suited to the task: configuration management
and change management software (particularly the former).  See
cfengine, bcfg2, puppet, to name only three.   I was also recently
referred to an interesting paper which makes references to using
configuration management software to manage other (client)
organizations' systems, here <ftp://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/bcfg/papers/directing-change-with-bcfg2.pdf