Nagios for client management?

Michael Gargiullo mgargiullo at pivotpointsecurity.com
Wed Nov 12 20:37:50 CET 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: dale sykora [mailto:dale.sykora at hp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:10 PM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] Nagios for client management?

Hello,
  Nagios seems to be a good client monitor system.  I was wondering if
anyone also uses it as a client management system?  By management,  I
mean running update scripts and other software on various Linux
clients.  For instance, I'd like to be able to tell clients to update a
perl module with cpan or yum update some_rpm_package or download, untar,

compile, install some in house software.   I could write a client script

to poll a server every so often asking what todo, but would rather not
reinvent the wheel if something like this exists in Nagios/plugin or
other software.

Thanks,

dale.sykora at hp.com

-

Using Nagios specifically to run updates may not be the best solution.
That being said...

I've used it to compare installed versions of software with a list of
requirements. The plugin would handle the update if needed.  It was very
specific.  It would also handle monitoring config file mod dates.

Could you do that... yes...  should you?  Only you can answer that one.