Nagios acknowledgement (with check_logfiles plugin)

Jim Winkle jwinkle at doit.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 10 20:17:45 CET 2008

We're deploying Nagios (currently using 3.0.2) for our Unix servers, and I have
a question about acknowledgement.

We're using the check_logfiles plugin to monitor syslogs (e.g.
/var/adm/messages on Solaris). check_logfiles returns CRITICAL when it detects
a problem, but then normally clears itself (returns OK) the next time it runs.
Nagios notifies us only once under this scenerio, and since it's possible that
pagers might miss just one page (paging services aren't 100% reliable), we'd
rather get notified until we explicitly acknowledge the problem.

The check_logfiles plugin does have the capability to continue to report the
error (using its "sticky" option). This is good since then we're notified
longer, but if we then use the Nagios "Acknowledge" link to acknowledge the
problem, new problems (e.g. new errors in /var/adm/messages) reported by the
check_logfiles plugin get ignored.

My question: Is there a way with Nagios to acknowledge a problem reported by a
plugin like check_logfiles without ignoring future problems? Or would this be
new functionality needed in Nagios? I realize we can syslog an "okpattern"
string and check_logfiles will then clear, but I'm looking for something using
the Nagios web (and external command_file) interfaces. Using the Nagios
"Acknowledge" link would be ideal, since that's what folks are going to be
using for other problems.

Nagios and the check_logfiles plugin are great tools... perhaps I'm simply
missing something.

Thanks in advance!

-- Jim