check_ssl_certificate

Victor Lanza vicjalan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 20:17:47 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Victor Lanza <vicjalan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestion Bo, however I tried that and it did not work.
>

> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Bo Lynch <blynch at ameliaschools.com>wrote:
>
>>  On Fri, November 7, 2008 9:57 am, Victor Lanza wrote:
>> > Hi guys, I'm about go nuts here with this plugin. I'm running Fedora 8
>> > with
>> > Nagios 3.0.1.
>> >
>> > I've installed the plugin I tested it via the CLI as follows:
>> > ./check_ssl_certificate -H 192.168.1.120 -c 7 -w 30
>> >
>> > I get the following response:
>> >
>> > m=Nov, d=6, h=20, m=25, s=34, y=2009, z=GMT
>> >
>> > However when Nagios runs it, all I get is a big fat (null) on the
>> > interface
>> > with a critical state.
>> >
>> > I've changed my command file to look the following ways:
>> > define command{
>> >         command_name    check_ssl
>> >         command_line    $USER1$/check_ssl_certificate -H
>> > $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$ -w $ARG2$
>> >         }
>> >
>> > define command{
>> >         command_name    check_ssl
>> >         command_line    $USER1$/check_ssl_certificate -H $HOSTADDRESS$
>> -c
>> > 7
>> > -w 30
>> >         }
>> >
>> > define command{
>> >         command_name    check_ssl
>> >         command_line    $USER1$/check_ssl_certificate -H 192.168.1.120-c
>> > 7
>> > -w 30
>> >         }
>> >
>> > None of which has worked, any way I put it, I still get a (null) output
>> in
>> > the Nagios interface. It works in the CLI under both the root and nagios
>> > user. I really preferred this plugin because it allows me to specifiy a
>> > warning and critical criteria. Has anyone had any luck using it or has
>> > some
>> > insight into what I may be doing wrong?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Thanks in Advance,
>> >
>> > Victor Lanza
>>

>> Try using -H $ARG1$ instead of -H $HOSTADDRESS$.
>> I had a similar problem with a different plugin and that got it working.
>> Hopefully this will be the case for you as well.
>>
>> Bo

I got it! The plugin check_ssl_certificate that I downloaded had
installation instructions inside the code. I would have thought I would need
to look in there for that but in any case the solution was there.

The script needed to know the path of the nagios plugins directory and by
default it had "usr/lib/nagios/plugins". I changed it to the correct path to
the plugins and it worked.

Hopes this helps any one else out there.

--
Best Regards,

Victor Lanza