changing display of service description without losing history

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Sat Nov 1 15:46:39 CET 2008

Hi,

I would like to know if there is any way in which display of
service_description can be customized.

I would like to have our web interface and sms notifications include a
little bit of information:
 - an importance of the alarm (in cases where we have multiple, which
happens quite often, I'd like our operators to be able to see the
priority)
 - some initial info that tells them where to start looking at the root
cause (in our case, usually that's a host:port combination where a
service runs they should connect to from a custom tool)

If I put this information in the service_description as I do now, then
the drawback is that we lose all service history when we change the
description, because that's what Nagios keys on.

Is there any other way in which we can easily customize the display of a
service_description without losing history ?

I've noticed that in 3.0, a property was added called display_name to
host and services, which would seem to be what I want.  Sadly:

"This directive is used to define an alternate name that should be
displayed in the web interface for this service. If not specified, this
defaults to the value you specify for the service_description directive.
Note: The current CGIs do not use this option, although future versions
of the web interface will."

It seems to suggest this doesn't work in the web interface.  It says
nothing about the other notifications (email/SMS).

This feature alone would make it worth it to me to upgrade from our
current 2.5 to 3.0.

Could someone tell me:
- why display_name was added ? (I didn't find any mention of it in the
archive of this list) My suspicion is it was added to address my
specific use case.
- what it actually does today ?
- if patches to make it be used in the current web interface as well as
notifications would be considered ?

Thanks
Thomas

--