[Nagiosplug-help] check via MAC adress

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu May 22 12:56:23 CEST 2008

Alex Dehaini wrote:
> Nagios uses an IP address to communicate with the device. I will still
> like to know the environment where you can't use IP but MAC
>
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon at googlemail.com
> <mailto:hpsekhon at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Alex Dehaini wrote:
>
>         There has to be a corresponding MAC to IP match. What
>         environment allows you use only MAC without IPs?
>
>         Alex
>
>         On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 9:12 AM, <jendan at tiscali.cz
>         <mailto:jendan at tiscali.cz> <mailto:jendan at tiscali.cz
>         <mailto:jendan at tiscali.cz>>> wrote:
>
>         Hello, I want to monitor AP but i don�t know IP adress, only MAC.
>
>         Can I monit if it is alive only with MAC?? some ping or snmp or
>         some check??
>
>         How will be the command looks like??
>
>         many thanks
>
>         Jan
>         jendan at tiscali.cz <mailto:jendan at tiscali.cz>
>         <mailto:jendan at tiscali.cz <mailto:jendan at tiscali.cz>>
>
>     Technically not really you could just ping it knowing only it's
>     arp address using arping2.
>
>     I'd suggest writing a plugin around this. I can't see the wider
>     benefit though unless it is common to
>     have devices that you want to check that don't have an ip
>     address... it almost doesn't make sense
>     in most normal usage since you usually need an IP on a host to get
>     service from it.
>
>     This AP seems to be a special case. Alternatively perhaps you
>     could just plug in a wifi interface and then have a test that
>     pings a host on the wired network to check the wifi?
>
>     -h
>
>     --
>     Hari Sekhon
>
> <mailto:alexdehaini at gmail.com>
Yes of course we know this is the standard way but if you define a
checkcommand to use a mac instead then you can get around this. Nagios
is flexible enough to accomodate.

You just need to write a check that doesn't require an ip, arping2 or
something similar may be a good starting point.

Note: Top-posting doesn't really help to make this thread readable for
others....

-h

--
Hari Sekhon