Problem with Router status in notification.

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue May 20 19:19:22 CEST 2008

On May 20, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 02:16:23PM +0530, Michael Mukherji wrote:
>>   thanks for your input.But the port was actually down.Bt i want
>> notification
>>   saying that port is down rather than snmp unable to collect data
>>
>>   So is any extra parameter such as -s /-r is required in my
>> check_snmp
>>   command.
>
> No.
>
> As he noted, the problem is that the Cisco doesn't behave properly.
> If
> the port is down, the Cisco should *say that it is down*, rather than
> simply ceasing to respond properly.
>
> But that's what it does, and that's what you're seeing.

That's not how I interpreted his issue at all and I'm a bit dubious
about it. The problem interface was a Serial interface, possibly the
only upstream connection. check_snmp will behave this way if the
router is unreachable. I've never personally experienced this
'disappearing' interface problem or non-responsiveness with any kind
of physical connection (Serial, (Fast)Ethernet, etc), only virtuals
such as ISDN Virtual interfaces, which are expected and even those
have never caused SNMP to be non-responsive. I do perform somewhat
extensive checking of interfaces via SNMP (several thousand).

Michael: Can you clarify? I'm interested in knowing if this is
something I need to be concerned about. What IOS version are you
running?

--
Marc