Problem with Router status in notification.

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue May 20 18:39:27 CEST 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 02:16:23PM +0530, Michael Mukherji wrote:
>    thanks for your input.But the port was actually down.Bt i want notification
>    saying that port is down rather than snmp unable to collect data
>
>    So is any extra parameter such as -s /-r is required in my check_snmp
>    command.

No.

As he noted, the problem is that the Cisco doesn't behave properly.  If
the port is down, the Cisco should *say that it is down*, rather than
simply ceasing to respond properly.

But that's what it does, and that's what you're seeing.

Marc, I gather provided a workaround, but that will likely obscure
those circumstances when the entire router drops dead.  Well, at least,
the historical logs will say the wrong thing.

No way to do better.

I concur: contact TAC; open a ticket.

Cheers,
-- jra

>    <[1]hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org> wrote:

>      ::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when
>      reporting any issue.
>      ::: Messages without supporting info will risk being sent to /dev/null
>
> References
>
>    1. mailto:hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
>    2. mailto:hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
>    3. http://hugo.vanderkooij.org/PGP/GPG