Hostgroup definition

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon May 12 17:43:02 CEST 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:01:56AM -0500, Marc Powell wrote:
> > I know that lots of the documentation about how to configure Nagios's
> > cfg files is in transition from 2.x (where you mostly did it one way)
> > to 3.0 (where you mostly do it another way), but there's a point I'm
> > not clear on.
>
> I've not done the transition but there don't appear to be significant
> changes from 2.x to 3.x...

The entries themselves, no.  But it did seem to me that the approach to
which things go in what files -- as exemplified by the default sample
configs -- changed a bit, no?

Or do I just think that because the "segregate in cfg_dirs by type of
object; everything in its own file" approach made more sense to me?

> > It seems to me that it would be much easier to maintain if member
> > machines were placed in hostgroups *in each member machine's cfg file*
> > (cause yes, I'm using a separate file for each machine).
>
> You have been able to do that since 2.x.

Yeah, so I found out; see my other reply.

> You do have to define the hostgroup but you don't have to specify
> members there.
>
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#hostgroup
>
> hostgroup_members: 	This _optional_ directive can be used to include
> hosts from other "sub" host groups in this host group. Specify a
> comma-delimited list of short names of other host groups whose members
> should be included in this group.

I did see that, when I actually looked far enough.  :-)

For what it's worth, it doesn't *actually* say that if you are going to
declare an object a member of a hostgroup, you *do* still actually have
to *define* it somewhere, which it probably should.  Certainly it's
implied, but I'm not sure that's good enough, as complicated as Nagios
is.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.