Hostgroup definition

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon May 12 17:01:56 CEST 2008

I've not done the transition but there don't appear to be significant
changes from 2.x to 3.x...

> It seems to me that it would be much easier to maintain if member
> machines were placed in hostgroups *in each member machine's cfg file*
> (cause yes, I'm using a separate file for each machine).

You have been able to do that since 2.x.

> This doesn't seem to be the way Nagios expects me to do it, and I
don't
> see that there's a way to do it this way; you appear to have to define
> the hostgroup in some amorphous 'somewhere', and then add all the
hosts
> to it *there* (which means that there are two places you have to
change
> when you add a new host, which I'm not fond of).

You do have to define the hostgroup but you don't have to specify
members there.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#hostgroup

hostgroup_members: 	This _optional_ directive can be used to include
hosts from other "sub" host groups in this host group. Specify a
comma-delimited list of short names of other host groups whose members
should be included in this group.

(emphasis mine)

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#host

hostgroups: 	This directive is used to identify the short name(s) of
the hostgroup(s) that the host belongs to. Multiple hostgroups should be
separated by commas. This directive may be used as an alternative to (or
in addition to) using the members directive in hostgroup definitions.

--
marc