Notification commands aren't parallelized?

Mike Emigh maemigh at gmail.com
Wed May 7 15:54:17 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

We use a custom oncall script in Perl which logs our notifications as
well as makes a direct connection to our cell providers mail servers.
Occasionally, these servers seem to hang for a while which results in
the Nagios queue to stop processing.  In the event of larger outages
where there are several notifications queued (we can't parent
everything), Nagios will stop all active checks and wait for each and
every notification to be sent in a serial manner.  We typically have
left the notification timeout value to a large number to compensate
for the hanging mail servers.  This may have been an issue with our
Nagios 2.9 instance, but it wasn't something we ever noticed until
moving to 3.0.1.  Does anyone know if there are plans to parallelize
the notification commands or if I have just missed something in the
configuration?

I'm thinking that I will add a "&" to each notification command to
just have them run in the background so that Nagios can continue its
queue.  Does anyone see any potential issues with this or have any
alternative solutions?

Thanks,
Mike