Nagios fails pre-launch verification step; "Unexpected token or statement" in command.cfg

Robert Dodier robert at infotility.com
Tue Mar 25 22:39:49 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Marc Powell <marc at ena.com> wrote:

> > It seems like the packaging is a little out of date; I wouldn't expect
>  > the latest & greatest tarball to contain configuration files with the
>  > wrong format. Oh well.
>
>  I checked before responding. The example config files are in the correct
>  format. I'm not sure where you got these but I assure you it wasn't from
>  the distribution nagios tarball.

I assure that it was indeed.

I went to http://www.nagios.org/download/ and clicked the button
to download "Nagios 3.0 (stable)" which redirected me to SF from
which I obtained nagios-3.0.tar.gz. Then I went back to
http://www.nagios.org/download for "Nagios Plugins (stable releases)"
which sent me to SF, from which I downloaded the most recent
release, nagios-plugins-1.4.11.tar.gz dated 2007-12-13.
>From those I built rpms via rpmbuild -tb <tarball>.
Then I installed those rpms. The obsolete command.cfg was in
one of those rpms.

Maybe building rpms is a stupid idea. If so, would someone please
remove the rpm spec files from the tarballs.

> This format hasn't been used or  distributed for probably 5 years or more.

Maybe the files were in a state of suspended animation in the
Bermuda Triangle or Knotts Berry Farm or something.

FWIW
Robert Dodier