Nagios fails pre-launch verification step; "Unexpected token or statement" in command.cfg

Robert Dodier robert at infotility.com
Tue Mar 25 19:26:19 CET 2008

Hello,

I have installed Nagios 3.0 by building RPM's from the source code tarballs.
The host system is CentOS 4.

I am following the steps shown in the Fedora quick start guide.
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/quickstart-fedora.html

I have run
sudo /usr/sbin/nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg
and fixed some things (updating paths as shown in nagios.cfg
to actual paths). However now I am getting this:

Error: Unexpected token or statement in file '/etc/nagios/command.cfg'
on line 33.

The offending line is this. It is the first non-comment line in the file.

command[notify-by-email]=/bin/printf "$OUTPUT$" | /bin/mail -s
'$SERVICESTATE$ alert for $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$' $CONTACTEMAIL$

What's wrong with this? What can I do at this point to make Nagios happy?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Robert Dodier