Dual-port monitoring

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Mon Mar 17 19:40:39 CET 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 9:03 AM, Gary Every wrote:

> In your services file:
>
> define service {
>   use                   generic-service
>   name                  Ping
>   host_name        multi_homed_server_name
>   service_description   Ping Second IFace
>   check_command         check_ping2!10.1.1.100!3000,10%!10000,20%
>   contact_groups        Unix
> }
>
> for your checkcommands:
>
> define command{
>         command_name    check_ping2
>         command_line    /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_ping -H $ARG1$
> -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$ -p 5
>         }
>

> check_ping2 adds the first ARG as the ip address that you want
> monitored - This means that the HOSTNAME will remain the same, but a
> diff interface will be checked.

Thanks for the response. If I understand your reply correctly, though,
this just adds a second service for the host, with a separate IP from
that specified in the host directive. it does not, however, allow me
to monitor the HOST on two separate IP's, taking into account that if
either interface is up, the host is up. Perhaps my question wasn't
quite clear enough. Take, for example, the following situation:

host a has two network interfaces: a primary with an IP of 10.1.1.100
and a secondary with an IP of 10.1.1.101.
Host a can be reached through either interface.
Host a has its host address defined as the primary of 10.1.1.100, with
a check command of check_ping
Host a also has a service defined as above, checking the secondary
interface (10.1.1.101)

If the secondary interface goes down, then everything is fine: nagios
notices that the service for the secondary interface is critical,
checks the host on the primary, sees that as being fine, and sends an
alert about the service (secondary port), while leaving the host in an
OK state. This is exactly as it should be.

However, now imagine that the primary interface goes down instead.
Nagios attempts to check the host on the primary interface, which also
fails (sicne the interface is down), and therefore nagios alerts that
the host is down, and any devices behind it are unreachable. This,
however, is incorrect-since the secondary interface is still connected
and fully functional, the host and everything behind it is still up
and reachable. What I want is a situation where Nagios will send me an
alert if either interface of a host is down, but only consider the
host to be down if BOTH interfaces on the host are down. As I
explained in my original posting, I have considered a couple of
options that may accomplish this, but neither seems as elegant as I
would like. Thanks for any thoughts!

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.