Dual-port monitoring

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Mon Mar 17 17:38:01 CET 2008

I have a number of devices on my network that have dual-interfaces
such that either one can go down, but the device itself, and all the
devices behind it (in the case of a router) is still up and reachable.
What is the best way to set up monitoring of such devices, considering
that as far as I can tell you can only assign one IP per host? I have
looked at check_cluster, but if that is the best method I am unsure of
the best way of implementing it. Things I have thought of:

1) Create two "dummy" hosts which are the two ports, and then a third
host with a check command of check_cluster that looks at those two
dummy hosts. This seems overly complicated, not to mention cluttering
up my configs and nagios interface with three hosts where there is
really only one.

2) Simply monitor the two ports as two separate hosts. This could
work, but again clutters things up with multiple hosts where only one
exists, and adds the requirement of multi-parenting any child devices,
which can get ugly, especially in a graphical representation of the
network.

I have read http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/clusters.html, but
that doesn't seem to apply, at least not directly, in that it refers
either to situations where you have redundant services on one or more
hosts (perhaps that is sort of what I want?) or to where you have
multiple redundant hosts, but not to the situation where you have one
host offering one service over two ports. The main problem with that
doc, though, is that the cluster is always a service, which wouldn't
work in my situation, as the host itself is a cluster. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.