Solaris 10 SMF, Getting NRPE to run as user nagios

Alloo, Vincent v-alloo at ti.com
Wed Mar 12 12:28:03 CET 2008

Robert,

Finally, I was able to enable NRPE through service management on Solaris
10 (not using SMF) without SUID:

echo "nrpe    stream  tcp     nowait  nagios /apps/nagios/nrpe/nrpe
/apps/nagios/nrpe/nrpe -c /db/sysadmin/nagios/nrpe.cfg --inetd " >!
/etc/nrpe.inetd

inetconv -i /etc/nrpe.inetd

inetadm -m svc:/network/nrpe/tcp tcp_wrappers=TRUE

echo nrpe: ALL >> /etc/hosts.deny

echo nrpe: your_nagios_server >> /etc/hosts.allow

--SSH-- > inetadm -l svc:/network/nrpe/tcp:default

SCOPE    NAME=VALUE

         name="nrpe"

         endpoint_type="stream"

         proto="tcp"

         isrpc=FALSE

         wait=FALSE

         exec="/apps/nagios/nrpe/nrpe -c /db/sysadmin/nagios/nrpe.cfg
--inetd"

         arg0="/apps/nagios/nrpe/nrpe"

         user="nagios"

default  bind_addr=""

default  bind_fail_max=-1

default  bind_fail_interval=-1

default  max_con_rate=-1

default  max_copies=-1

default  con_rate_offline=-1

default  failrate_cnt=40

default  failrate_interval=60

default  inherit_env=TRUE

default  tcp_trace=FALSE

         tcp_wrappers=TRUE

--SSH-- > ls -l /apps/nagios/nrpe/nrpe

-rwxrwxr-x   1 nagios   nagios     71608 Oct  4  2006
/apps/nagios/nrpe/nrpe

Let me know if it works for you.

Regards,

Vincent Alloo

TI France Design Systems Operations Manager

Europe, Middle East and Africa IT Services

Texas Instruments France

E-Mail: v-alloo at ti.com

Phone: +33 4 93 22 26 97

Mobile: +33 6 82 13 00 80