Email notification stopped!!

sachin holikar sholikar at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 16:14:41 CET 2008

Hi,

  As always you are dead right. Tried sending mail by logging in as nagios user and it gave error saying cannot write to /tmp directory. Thats strange as currently I'm the only person working on this system. And saw that /tmp permissions have changed.
Changed the same and I could manage to send emails.

  Thought it would help someone having similar issue.

  Thanks anyways.

Marc Powell <marc at ena.com> wrote:

> [...]

Are you saying here that you see the notification attempt in nagios.log
but do not see any corresponding activity in /var/log/maillog? If so,
verify that you have not changed your notification commands and that
they work when run from the command line as the nagios user.

> See below,
> /var/log/nagios/nagios
>
> [1204896767] SERVICE ALERT: localhost;HTTP;WARNING;SOFT;1;HTTP
WARNING:
> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
> [1204896827] SERVICE ALERT: localhost;HTTP;WARNING;HARD;2;HTTP
WARNING:
> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
> [1204896827] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
itsme;localhost;HTTP;WARNING;notify-by-
> email;HTTP WARNING: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
>
> Now whats gone wrong suddenly?

How can we know? Something was changed, what is it?

--
Marc