Monitoring Connection attempts

Tom Throckmorton throck at duke.edu
Wed Mar 5 14:30:35 CET 2008

On Mar 05 09:34, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Before I start coding my own plugin to do this, does anyone know of a
> plugin that monitors the number of external connection attempts over a
> given period of time for a given service and sends alerts accordingly?
>
> I've noticed on a number of servers that we maintain recently that
> there are unauthorised attempts to connect via SSH/FTP.  These appear
> in the log files about 2 seconds apart and are obviously automated.
>
> We've got Logcheck in place which alerts us to this kind of thing
> already, however I like the idea of a nice visual/audible alert (we all
> use the nagios-plugin for firefox here).

Since you already have an investment in Logcheck, you could feed those events
directly to Nagios using NSCA.  There's an example configuration outlined in
this document:

https://www2.sans.org/reading_room/whitepapers/logging/198.php

If you're looking for something more real-time, you might consider dropping
Logcheck in favor of swatch/SEC.

Cheers,

-tt

--