Monitoring Connection attempts

Michael Schwartzkopff misch at multinet.de
Wed Mar 5 14:22:26 CET 2008

Am Mittwoch, 5. März 2008 14:14 schrieb Hari Sekhon:
> Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Before I start coding my own plugin to do this, does anyone know of a
> > plugin that monitors the number of external connection attempts over a
> > given period of time for a given service and sends alerts accordingly?
> >
> > I've noticed on a number of servers that we maintain recently that
> > there are unauthorised attempts to connect via SSH/FTP.  These appear
> > in the log files about 2 seconds apart and are obviously automated.
> >
> > We've got Logcheck in place which alerts us to this kind of thing
> > already, however I like the idea of a nice visual/audible alert (we all
> > use the nagios-plugin for firefox here).
>
> You could probably use check_logfiles to search for those logged strings
> and alert on those. Haven't used it myself yet but it seems good.
>
> http://www.consol.com/opensource/nagios/check-logfiles/
>
> -h

1) Better use the logmatch option in the net-snmp configuration. It is quite
undocumented but works like a charm. nagios can read these values with
check_snmp.

Syntax:

2) On the other hand: Why don't you use limits for external ssh connections?

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
MultiNET Services GmbH

mail: misch at multinet.de
web: www.multinet.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: 85630 Grasbrunn
Geschäftsführer: Günter Jurgeneit, Hubert Martens

---

PGP Fingerprint: F919 3919 FF12 ED5A 2801 DEA6 AA77 57A4 EDD8 979B
Skype: misch42