notifications for downed services

nagios nagios at ayksolutions.com
Tue Mar 4 16:23:18 CET 2008

Well, here's what I have in its entirety.

My services.cfg looks like this:

#### Generic services template ################
define service{
name generic-service;
active_checks_enabled 1;
obsess_over_service 1;
check_freshness 0;
notifications_enabled 1;
event_handler_enabled 1;
flap_detection_enabled 1;
retain_status_information 1;
retain_nonstatus_information 1;
register 0;
}
define service{
use generic-service
name                                    basic-service
is_volatile                             0
check_period                            24x7
max_check_attempts                      15
normal_check_interval                   5
retry_check_interval                    1
notification_interval                   20
notification_period                     24x7
register                                0
}
define service{
use basic-service
name dns-service
check_command check_dns
max_check_attempts 10
check_period 24x7
notification_interval 20
notification_period 24x7
notification_options c,r
contact_groups localadmin
register 0
}
#### HOST01 ######
define service{
use dns-service
host_name host01
servicegroups mygroup
service_description DNS
contact_groups localadmin
}

So, to me, that looks correct. Host01's service check should inherit
everything through 'use dns-service' line.

checkcommands.cfg file for DNS:

# 'check_dns' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_dns
        command_line    $USER1$/check_dns -H $HOSTADDRESS$
        }

contactgroups.cfg:

define contactgroup{
contactgroup_name localadmin
alias Site Administrator
members nagios
}

contacts.cfg:

define contact{
contact_name nagios
alias admin
host_notification_period 24x7
service_notification_period 24x7
service_notification_options w,u,c,r,f
host_notification_options d,u,r,f
service_notification_commands notify-by-email
host_notification_commands host-notify-by-email
email mail at domain.com
}

I believe the above should be correct since I have host and service to
be notified by email. Obviously I'm overlooking something. Marc, if you
meant something else by setting up the contact_group for services,
please let me know.

Thanks