service notifications not being sent

nagios nagios at ayksolutions.com
Tue Mar 4 05:57:17 CET 2008

Hello everyone,

I have just configured some service checks for services such as http, smtp, etc.. The commands are defined in the commands.cfg file and then called in the services.cfg file. The following is an example of how a commands.cfg and services.cfg looks:

# 'check_http' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_http
        command_line    $USER1$/check_http -H $HOSTADDRESS$
        }

#### Generic services template ################
define service{
name generic-service;
active_checks_enabled 1;
obsess_over_service 1;
check_freshness 0;
notifications_enabled 1;
event_handler_enabled 1;
flap_detection_enabled 1;
retain_status_information 1;
retain_nonstatus_information 1;
register 0;
}
define service{
use generic-service
name                                    basic-service
is_volatile                             0
check_period                            24x7
max_check_attempts                      15
normal_check_interval                   5
retry_check_interval                    1
notification_interval                   240
notification_period                     24x7
register                                0
}
define service{
use basic-service
name smtp-service
check_command check_smtp
notification_options c,r
register 0
}

Example service called for a specific host (same services.cfg file as where the above services are declared in the beginning)

define service{
use dns-service
host_name serv01
servicegroups mygroup
service_description DNS
contact_groups localadmin,supportpro
}

The contacts are setup correctly since our check_ping which is declared in the hosts.cfg file works perfectly fine and we do get the correct alerts.

Could someone point me in the right direction of what I'm doing wrong here? I can't seem to get emails if a service is down. It's most likely in my syntax, but I'm not sure where since I get no errors when reloading Nagios.

Thanks for your help.