Nagios compared to Sun's SMC

Justin Hitt hittjw at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 02:49:27 CET 2008

Don,

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Don Shesnicky
<don_shesnicky at carleton.ca> wrote:
>  wondering if anyone on the list has compared Nagios to Sun Management
>  Center or has thoughts on the two? We're a Solaris shop and the
>  container/zone features of SMC are definitely of interest but my

While SMC has a web based console too, Nagios has a bit less overhead
and better handling of root cause.  Being from a heavy Sun shop too,
we're looking at running both as it supports Sun N1 Provisioning, with
Nagios being more the big picture look and SMC for day-to-day
management and drill-down.  Either way, dedicate a machine for this
... we have a Sun T1000 set aside.

Nagios is also great for an "outside" prospective look at your
network.  We have a web application environment with a Nagios install
stood up on a VPS account.  This provides an external view of our
websites without the overhead of SMC.  Nagios also provides better
support for multiple platforms (i.e. CISCO, .Windows 2003, ...),
unless you can use SNMP then both products can see everything.

Sincerely,

Justin
--
Attention Sales And Marketing Professionals Who Serve B2B Executives
   http://hittpublishingdirect.com/