Questions about Nagios Looking Glass

Andy Shellam andy.shellam-lists at mailnetwork.co.uk
Wed Jun 25 18:15:53 CEST 2008

Hi Matt,

Sounds like quite a task you've gotten there!  Can I take it that fun is
with a capital F? ;-)

The template engine isn't really an engine at all, but simply a mixture
of placeholders and a bunch of str_replace()'s!  It is hideous I know,
but v2 will have it's own templating engine (currently being developed
and refined in other projects.)

I can tell you now that version 2 *may* make this sort of job easier, as
it will have a pluggable architecture that splits out the application
into separate logical "layers" - in similar fashion to n-tier
applications - e.g. NLG will take care of grabbing the data and
authentication etc, while allowing other users and developers to tack a
"view" on top of this layer.  In this sense you should theoretically be
able to do virtually anything with the data - from creating a whole new
template to showing the last-known status as an RSS feed (something
which will be part of the standard distribution.)

If you want to contact me privately (remove the -lists from this e-mail
address) and let me know what you're trying to do with v1 now and I'll
certainly try to help, as v2 is still a good way off yet.  Unfortunately
I have no experience of Joomla.  I'd need to know more about how it
authenticates (e.g. using standard HTTP authentication or whatever) and
if there is a public variable available in PHP that gives the Joomla
username (in similar fashion to $_SERVER['PHP_AUTH_USER'] etc.)

Regards,

Andy