NSCA not receiving or send_nsca not sending

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 05:16:36 CEST 2008

There was a post on the time syncronization of NSCA just 2 weeks ago, the
following is a copy of the email
(I did not verify that this works)
TOny

dateFri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:44 AM
subjectRe: [Nagios-users] Dropping packet with future timestamp, NSCA
mailing listnagios-users.lists.sourceforge.net Filter messages from this
mailing list
mailed-bylists.sourceforge.net
hide details Jun 13 (12 days ago) Reply

Just change the source:
---8<---
      /* check the timestamp in the packet */
       packet_time=(time_t)ntohl(receive_packet.timestamp);
       time(&current_time);
       //if(packet_time>current_time){
       //        syslog(LOG_ERR,"Dropping packet with future
       //        timestamp.");
       //        /*return;*/
       //      close(sock);
       //        if(mode==SINGLE_PROCESS_DAEMON)
       //                return;
       //        else
       //                do_exit(STATE_OK);
       //        }
       //else{
               packet_age= abs ( (unsigned long)(current_time-packet_time)
);
               syslog(LOG_ERR,"Time diff: %lu seconds", packet_age);
               if(max_packet_age>0 && (packet_age>max_packet_age)){
                       syslog(LOG_ERR,"Dropping packet with stale timestamp
- packet was %lu seconds old or new.",packet_age);
                       /*return;*/
                       close(sock);
                       if(mode==SINGLE_PROCESS_DAEMON)
                               return;
                       else
                               do_exit(STATE_OK);
                       }
---8<---
If you want, you can see now the "Time diff" in the syslog.
Workes for me.
Perhaps that should be an option in the next release!
Chris