[Multiple Problems]

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Sun Jun 22 17:40:15 CEST 2008

On Jun 21, 2008, at 11:57 PM, Shoaibi wrote:

> So you see that i am trying to provide a GUI version with checkboxed
> list for the services which:
> 1. are installed
> 2. are publicly available

Determining #2 implies #1 is true.

> +++++++
> Problem
> +++++++
>
> That were my needs. My problem is how can i list the installed and
> publicly available services on a nix? Can nagios tell me that on my
> system which services are publicly available for monitoring? If not,

No, it only knows about things you tell it.

> then is there any other method?

nmap comes to mind as a way to determine the public services on any
host. There's even someone that's done that part before (nmap2nagios),
albiet it's old and probably out of date now.

> ++++++++++++++++++++++
> Methods already known to me
> ++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> 1. Check distribution by:
>
> lsbrelease -a
>
> 2. Categorized distribution as debian or red hat based.
> 3. based upon the categorization run
>
> dpkg -l
>
> or
>
> rpm -qa
>
> and
>
> grep 'SERVICE_NAME_HERE'

Way too complicated and doesn't tell you that the services are active
or not, that if they are active that they're listening publicly and
you're seemingly required to have automated, passwordless remote
access to the boxes from the nagios machine to run the commands above.
If you were to go this route, parsing netstat output would probably be
more effective.

--
Marc