Bunch of strange issues

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Wed Jun 18 19:53:17 CEST 2008

I'm pretty sure there may be something 'worse' going on than previously thought.

If I view the 'configuration' section of the nagios web interface

It shows me 2x for each host and 2x for each service, if I am on the tactical overview and I keep refreshing over and over, about 50% of the time I see:

# Active Host / Service Checks:
2 / 9

The other 50% of the time I see:

# Active Host / Service Checks:
8 / 38

The 8/38 is correct.

If I run:

/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -s /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg

Nagios 3.0.1
Copyright (c) 1999-2008 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
Last Modified: 04-01-2008
License: GPL

Timing information on object configuration processing is listed
below.  You can use this information to see if precaching your
object configuration would be useful.

Object Config Source: Config files (uncached)

OBJECT CONFIG PROCESSING TIMES      (* = Potential for precache savings with -u option)
----------------------------------
Read:                 0.002732 sec
Resolve:              0.000018 sec  *
Recomb Contactgroups: 0.000003 sec  *
Recomb Hostgroups:    0.000003 sec  *
Dup Services:         0.000050 sec  *
Recomb Servicegroups: 0.000002 sec  *
Duplicate:            0.000001 sec  *
Inherit:              0.000007 sec  *
Recomb Contacts:      0.000000 sec  *
Sort:                 0.000001 sec  *
Register:             0.000274 sec
Free:                 0.000033 sec
                      ============
TOTAL:                0.003124 sec  * = 0.000085 sec (2.72%) estimated savings

RETENTION DATA TIMES
----------------------------------
Read and Process:     0.000944 sec
                      ============
TOTAL:                0.000944 sec

Timing information on configuration verification is listed below.

CONFIG VERIFICATION TIMES          (* = Potential for speedup with -x option)
----------------------------------
Object Relationships: 0.000178 sec
Circular Paths:       0.000003 sec  *
Misc:                 0.000069 sec
                      ============
TOTAL:                0.000250 sec  * = 0.000003 sec (1.2%) estimated savings

EVENT SCHEDULING TIMES
-------------------------------------
Get service info:        0.000122 sec
Get host info info:      0.000020 sec
Get service params:      0.000004 sec
Schedule service times:  0.000194 sec
Schedule service events: 0.000027 sec
Get host params:         0.000001 sec
Schedule host times:     0.000041 sec
Schedule host events:    0.000007 sec
                         ============
TOTAL:                   0.000416 sec

Projected scheduling information for host and service checks
is listed below.  This information assumes that you are going
to start running Nagios with your current config files.

HOST SCHEDULING INFORMATION
---------------------------
Total hosts:                     8
Total scheduled hosts:           8
Host inter-check delay method:   SMART
Average host check interval:     600.00 sec
Host inter-check delay:          75.00 sec
Max host check spread:           30 min
First scheduled check:           Wed Jun 18 13:47:05 2008
Last scheduled check:            Wed Jun 18 13:55:50 2008

SERVICE SCHEDULING INFORMATION
-------------------------------
Total services:                     38
Total scheduled services:           38
Service inter-check delay method:   SMART
Average service check interval:     600.00 sec
Inter-check delay:                  15.79 sec
Interleave factor method:           SMART
Average services per host:          4.75
Service interleave factor:          5
Max service check spread:           30 min
First scheduled check:              Wed Jun 18 13:49:11 2008
Last scheduled check:               Wed Jun 18 13:59:11 2008

It shows my 8 hosts and 38 services.

Any idea what in the world is going on?

All of my hosts/services and contacts are defined in 'included files'. Is this not ok?

-Drew