Vista gadget for monitoring Nagios

Jouko Markkanen jouko+nagios-users at markkanen.net
Wed Jun 18 09:50:08 CEST 2008

Hello, fellow Nagios users!

If you happen to run Windows Vista, and monitor your environment using
Nagios, you might have thought that it'd be nice to have a sidebar
gadget to display your Nagios' stats.

Well, now there is such a gadget. Actually it's been available on
nagiosexchange for a few weeks, but now I've also uploaded it to Live
Gallery also.

You can get the latest version here:
http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=Detailed%2F2603.html;d=1

The gadget displays statistics (number of hosts/services
ok/down/warning/critical/whatever), and clocking on the gadget you get a
flyout that shows details on each host and service.

The catch here is, however, that you need to get the data from Nagios
using http, and for that purpose, there is a cgi (perl) script that must
be installed on Nagios server. The script reads Nagios' status.dat,
converts it to xml and outputs requested information. If you need
Nagios' status information in xml format for any other purpose, you
might also want to check this out, as the script is written in a generic
purpose manner. (I only wish that there was a standards-based API to
request info from Nagios such as SOAP, it would make this kind of
systems much easier.)

For further instructions, please read the README.txt in installation
directory.

If you have any suggestions and/or comments, you're welcome to mail me
(or the list, but include me in cc, as I don't regularly follow the
list). Especially I'd like know how this handles in big-scale
environments (the biggest I'm using it on is 40 hosts/150 services).

- J