How to monitor windows software raid

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 00:34:23 CEST 2008

Hi Rene,

Sorry for joining this response late,

For checking Software RAID on Windows the best way is to use a Windows Plug
in that gives connectivity to a standard widows location of the data you
need.

With that said, I recommend NC_Net (not only because I wrote it but also
since it provides mechanism for retrieval using several of the methods
hinted to in this thread.

1) using Windows Event log, there are several plugins that allow for
checking windows event log (including NC_NEt)
2) Writing a script or executable, There are several plugins that allow this
as well (including NC_NEt and NRPE)
3) Writing a WMI query , ( NC_net has this as well but there are also some
scripts under NRPE that can do this)
4) you may be able to configure Notification on degraded RAID to submit via
NSCA, and then again on recovery
5) you may be able to configure a Submit by email on Degraded/Recover RAID
(I have not tried this)
6) you may be able to configure SNMP on the software RAID (I have not tried
this) then check by SNMP

For options 4,5,6 you may want to look into viotile service checks (see
Nagios Manual)
Good Luck,

Tony (Author of NC_Net)