Alternative Notification Method for a Backup

Mirza Dedic mirde at oppy.com
Tue Jun 17 00:53:11 CEST 2008

I have thought this over and I think the original method I was looking for is either flawed or would be rather very difficult to setup as the 2nd ISP is not physically connected to our LAN unless you manually make a switch in the server room (which defeats the purpose).

However, we do have MPLS links to other offices/servers that have their own ISPs. A way to monitor internet connectivity on our main location would be to setup a Nagios server there and run check scripts in our main office that try to pull stuff from the net.

Then send an SMTP email using that office's ISP to an external mailbox/SMS gateway to reach the admins. I plan to stick with that idea unless someone has a simpler more centralized solution for this to avoid a 2nd nagios/mailer setup?

Thanks.