NRPE host on Solaris 10 (now can monitor from server, but local issue on remote host)

Phil Costelloe philc at foundation-it.com
Mon Jun 16 11:26:23 CEST 2008

> From: nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net [mailto:nagios-users-
> bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Izz Abdullah
>
> The allowed hosts only has the local loopback : 127.0.0.1 which
> confuses me a bit as the monitoring server is allowed to get the
> information.  I would imagine it's being over-ridden by the hosts.allow
> file which allows the monitoring server IP in.
>
> As for the tcp_wrappers...I haven't tried yet.  Will try soon and post
> back.  Any ideas on why i didn't have to allow the monitoring server IP
> in the allowed_hosts directive of nrpe.cfg?

allowed_hosts is only applied if nrpe is running as a daemon. If you're running under a service framework such as inetd/xinetd and apparently SMF according to your experience, it's ignored.

The Solaris 10 servers I was monitoring were decommissioned last week so I can't help much with examples of a running configuration unfortunately.

--
Phil Costelloe
Foundation IT, Hermitage Berkshire RG18 9SE