event handler not working

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Jun 10 19:35:23 CEST 2008

On Jun 10, 2008, at 9:32 AM, Kevin Manuel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can see where the event handler has been called in the log. Any
> idea what
> the error message below would mean?

Yes, see below..

> Also, the service event handler is not called unless the state
> changes (i.e.
> 2-OK's in a row - event handler only called for the first one). Do
> you know
> if Is there a way to change this behaviour?

I do not believe that there is, at least for OK states. For non-OK
states. is_volatile _might_ work for you --

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/volatileservices.html

> [1213107234] SERVICE EVENT HANDLER: snmptrap_test;SNMP Trap
> Alert;CRITICAL;HARD;1;renotify-on-ok
> [1213107234] **ePN failed to compile
> /usr/local/nagios/libexec/renotify-on-ok: "Global symbol
> "$contactEmail"
> requires explicit package name at (eval 12) line 40,
> Global symbol "$notificationNumber" requires explicit package name
> at (eval
> 12) line 49.
> Global symbol "$notificationType" requires explicit package name at
> (eval
> 12) line 5" at /usr/local/nagios/bin/p1.pl line 237.

These errors mean that you have compiled nagios with the embedded perl
interpreter enabled. That means that perl programs executed by nagios
must satisfy a higher standard of design to run (http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/epnplugins.html
). This program does not. You have several options --

1) Disable use of ePN for this plugin specifically by changing the
command line 'command_line /path/to/perl $USER1$/...' were path/to/
perl is the path to your perl binary or
2) If using nagios-3, include the text '# nagios: -epn' within your
plugin (http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/embeddedperl.html) or
3) if using nagios-3, disable implicit use of the ePN (http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/configmain.html#use_embedded_perl_implicitly
) or
4) if using nagios-3, disable use of ePN globally (http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/configmain.html#enable_embedded_perl