Nagios with NDOUtils is not working any more.

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Jun 2 16:17:46 CEST 2008

No answers but some thoughts...

On Jun 2, 2008, at 8:11 AM, Marcin Praczko wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've configured Nagios 2.6 with NDOUtils so time ago.
> And everything was working well till today. About 4'oclock from some
> reason
> Nagios stopped writing data to database.

'about 4'oclock' is a typical start time for cron.daily, cron.weekly
and cron.monthly scripts, at least under Redhat and clones, all of
which ran recently. Is there anything interesting set to run in those?
Database backups, anything like that? You have free disk space on your
database partition?

> When I am running Nagios without ndoutils (no changes on event
> broken). Nagios is working well.
>
> When I switch ndoutils on, nagios seems be starting like normal. But
> I can't get any details over WWW - have the same error like Nagios
> is not running.
>
> And Nagios doesn't make any tests any more. It is just waiting for
> something.

I've seen this when ndo2db is doing it's initial logging to the
database and database cleanup tasks. I too couldn't get debug to show
anything but saw this activity using strace on the process. That
initial process was taking a loooong time and seems to be noted in
various places. 'mysqladmin showprocesslist' will show you any active
connections to the database and a general idea of what it's doing. You
could also try using 'strace -fs512 -p <pid of ndo2db> ' as root to
see if it's doing anything. You can use CTRL-C to quit out of strace.
I've found that using the 'Retain status file over a reload' patch at http://www.altinity.org
  works to mask the problem from the GUI.

--
Marc